Support Services

Fast and professional to support your business
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: General advice on setting up a Joomla!/WHMCS website

General advice on setting up a Joomla!/WHMCS website 4 years 11 months ago #5403

• royce
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there, I am still trying to get my head around all of the tasks required to set up a fully function system using these products. I am a very experienced PHP/Joomla! developer, but this is one of the more challenging projects I have worked on! There are many 'moving parts' that still have me scratching my head as to how it all hangs together.

This may not be the place for this discussion, but hopefully others are in the same boat and we can all help each other.

My general work to date is this.
  • Get a reseller account with a hosting company - The company I used (Host Gator) also provided a license to WHMCS - since I am a Joomla! developer, I of course looked to see who else had integrated those 2 products and that is how I found this J!WHMCS tool.
  • Install J! (of course) and WHMCS and this tool. It seems to have went ok, I can register on the J! side and the user is redirected to the WHMCS sub-domain and has access to the client portal.
  • Create 'products' and place them in 'packages' in WHMCS - This is where I am getting bogged down. My intent is to offer full-service websites that include domain registration, hosting, and a simple Joomla or Wordpress website for targeted niches. I know its been done lots of times, but hopefully I can target niche markets at a price point that makes it a no brainier for my customers and also, of course, automate as much of the workload as possible using the available tools.
  • Set up invoicing, transactions, etc. - TBD!
I saw somewhere that GoHigher mentioned building a demo site, but I'm not sure how far that has gotten. It would be great to see the admin side of such a site to get an idea from experienced folks how they went about setting up products, invoices, domain management etc.

Even a general diagram of how the pieces could integrate would be worthwhile. I'm sure there are some hard earned lessons about setting up such a system and since we are all interested in building sites that are good for our customers and worthwhile for ourselves, any ideas, recommendations, and comments are appreciated.

regards,
Royce
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: General advice on setting up a Joomla!/WHMCS website 4 years 11 months ago #5407

• Justin
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Royce,

I moved this into the WHMCS help forum.

What you are asking would require writing a book :) While we can help with specifics and offer advice, your best bet is to contact Hostgator and ask them for a copy of the Web Hosting Business Book. This comes free with your reseller account and while a little outdated and not perfect, it does contain a lot of good information on setting up your website and company. Just ask them, they'll send it to you.

If you have specifics you want to ask about various settings or practices, feel free to create threads with good keyword titles that are descriptive of the content so others too can benefit by searching for the answers. We're more than happy to help with answering questions and offering tips and advice in the forums so thank you for posting questions here.

Let me know how that Web Hosting Business Book turns out with Hostgator and do follow the bulk of it for security and setting your business up right from the start. You're on the right track.

Re: General advice on setting up a Joomla!/WHMCS website 4 years 11 months ago #5419

• royce
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there, thanks for the tip about the book. I got it and am working through the chapters now. It is a bit outdated, but the information is still very worthwhile for someone like myself that is new to WHMCS.
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds