Support Services

Fast and professional to support your business
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: JWHMCS or WHMCS template integration

JWHMCS or WHMCS template integration 5 years 1 month ago #5627

• kers7754
  • Fresh Boarder
I am an active member but curious if it makes more sense to use jWHMCS integration or create a custom template for the WHMCS to match the front of my site.

This isn't a sales questions as I am already a fully paid member, but I am very curious what the pros and cons are of using jWHMCS over a custom template.

Do you have any non-biased opinions?

Thanks,
--Jeff
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: JWHMCS or WHMCS template integration 5 years 1 month ago #5628

• Steven
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 60
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the question, but I have to warn you that I won't be able to give you an un-biased opinion myself, perhaps another user will be able to. I can however give you a quick run down of why I developed J!WHMCS Integrator so you can perhaps have a clearer understanding of how it can help your business:

I entered the market as a hosting provider back in 2009 due to economic necessity (read: unemployed). I've been developing for the Internet now for 20 years, and quite frankly the days of using HTML and CSS to style each piece by hand for each application have long since passed. I wanted to focus on building my business, not coding a bunch of HTML, so I started looking for a way to integrate my new Joomla web site with WHMCS without having to do all the manual coding and tweaking that one is 'supposed' to do.

The reasons were simple for me:
1) HTML and CSS coding by hand is not my favorite thing in the world
2) My Joomla site already did all that work for me, why do I have to do it on WHMCS by hand?
3) What if I changed something, would I remember (no) to make that change in WHMCS?

The last point is really the big one. If I change a URL in the main menu or a side menu that is also used in WHMCS, I have to remember to update it. Yes, for some that may be easy, but for me, I have a hard time doing that. I also wanted to be able to implement the javascript and css features from Joomla that aren't readily applicable to WHMCS, such as in a module or plugin. I also didn't want to have to do things twice... once is enough for me.

Hope that helps get the discussion going :)
Stars on the Joomla! Extension Directory are always appreciated
If you found this response useful, don't forget to hit Thank You!

Re: JWHMCS or WHMCS template integration 5 years 1 month ago #5629

• Justin
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for posting this. Good question.

I suppose that would depend on if you're using Joomla or not. I'd have to imagine you are so, if I were to give a non-biased opinion, maybe slightly biased... LOL....

Custom Template: - Takes time to create.

- If you change menus item or modules in Joomla you have to recustomize your template.

- When you upgrade WHMCS you have to recustomize your template.

- Any changes at all made to Joomla would force you to re-customize your template.

JWHMCS: - Can customize JWHMCS templates as you see fit.

- If you upgrade WHMCS, just reinstall and go through the automated JWHMCS interview and your jwhmcs templates are updated automatically.

- If you upgrade Joomla, you again reinstall JWHMCS and go through the interview which upgrades the plugins and component for you automatically.

- If you change a menu item in Joomla, it automatically shows up on WHMCS.

- You can completely change your Joomla template on the fly and WHMCS will use the current Joomla css and render WHMCS within the Joomla content.

- Currently you can add modules to WHMCS pages through Joomla.

The advantages to using JWHMCS or customizing a template are many. Hopefully some others that have used customized templates and JWHMCS will reply, we'd love to hear other opinions, pros or cons.

Now integrating vBulletin 4.0+ with Joomla and having it remove the formatting in VB, frustrating! LOL

Re: JWHMCS or WHMCS template integration 5 years 1 month ago #5637

• kers7754
  • Fresh Boarder
All sounds good. I can't imagine there would be any issues, but is there any known issues integrating with Joomla 2.5.*, RocketThemes and K2?

Check out my latest design that I am working on:
[url:p6umoot8]doory.com/new/[/url]

If I understand correctly, the member login into joomla on the bottom right would correctly login the user into joomla and WHMCS, correct?

Also, is linking into WHMCS the same for domain avail check and adding products to cart?

Thanks,
--Jeff

Re: JWHMCS or WHMCS template integration 5 years 1 month ago #5638

• Justin
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
kers7754;5637 wrote:
All sounds good. I can't imagine there would be any issues, but is there any known issues integrating with Joomla 2.5.*, RocketThemes and K2?

Not really. The only issues that come up is if RocketTheme settings are minifying javascript or stripping the css somehow. Each theme is different but if you have the setting that minifies or compresses, you'll experience some visual integration issues.
kers7754;5637 wrote:
Check out my latest design that I am working on:
[url:1f1nxfwb]doory.com/new/[/url]

Nice!
kers7754;5637 wrote:
If I understand correctly, the member login into joomla on the bottom right would correctly login the user into joomla and WHMCS, correct?

That member login should be our client login module and then yes, it would log the client into both Joomla and WHMCS. You can use any module to login but ours will show up correctly as logged in on WHMCS urls as well.
kers7754;5637 wrote:
Also, is linking into WHMCS the same for domain avail check and adding products to cart?

Linking to WHMCS is basically just like linking to it if it weren't wrapped in Joomla. Every WHMCS link in Joomla has to be an external link. So it would be your website URL like this: [url:1f1nxfwb]http://your.whmcs-path/clientarea.php?action=domains[/url]

Essentially nothing changes with the URLs in WHMCS. All full URLs. You don't want to link to our component in any way in Joomla, always link to WHMCS via External URL.

Re: JWHMCS or WHMCS template integration 5 years 1 month ago #5642

• kers7754
  • Fresh Boarder
Great... I want to give it a try. I have already paid for it, so I wonder if I can do the following.

I would like to try it out on my test site while I am working on finishing that: [url:4mayqkiz]doory.com/new[/url]

Once I move the test site to doory.com, do I have to do much changes to jWHMCS to get that to work?

Thanks,
--Jeff

Re: JWHMCS or WHMCS template integration 5 years 1 month ago #5643

• Steven
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 60
Hi Jeff,

There are minimal changes to make, most notably in the settings for J!WHMCS Integrator, to be sure all your URLs are repointed properly. If you don't have a split install, then that should be the extent of the changes. If you have to copy files over to another server for WHMCS to use (for ssl purposes due to a split install situation), that may require some additional copying and changing, but overall, it should prove to be fairly straight forward.
Stars on the Joomla! Extension Directory are always appreciated
If you found this response useful, don't forget to hit Thank You!

Re: JWHMCS or WHMCS template integration 5 years 1 month ago #5644

• kers7754
  • Fresh Boarder
Awesome! I have just paid for the installation service and sent you the necessary information. Thanks for all your help and I am interested in seeing how well this integrates.
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds